12/30/13

Thank You


 I hope that 2014 is a year in which your children are safe, healthy, and talking with self-confidence. You have supported your children in a world that values speed and efficiency over patience and attention. Thank you for being the change.

 Five wonderful challenges took my time this fall:

1.             I spoke to a class of graduate students at the University of Connecticut. The topic was treatment for stuttering in preschool children.

2.             I was a guest on the National Stuttering Association Family Radio show. We discussed the relationship between the speech-language pathologist and family.

3.             I facilitated a workshop for teens at the National Stuttering Association Family Day at Boston University.

4.             I presented a two-hour workshop for a local school district. 

5.            Nina Reeves, MS, CCC-SLP, BRS-FD of Stuttering Therapy Services/Seminars, PLLC, spoke to the Maine Speech Language and Hearing Association and  I was there. Local workshops about stuttering are rare and Nina is one of the best therapists in the country.

All of this prompted me to reflect on my 30+ years as a speech-language pathologist.  It's been hard work and wonderfully rewarding. I've watched changes in education and health care reduce access to stuttering therapy and live continuing education workshops.  My response in 2014 will be to assemble a workbook for free regional, small-group workshops.

 Thank goodness the Stuttering Foundation and the National Stuttering Association  continue to inform and support us. I recommend you take a listen to StutterTalk as well, where you will find podcasts representing a variety of opinions about stuttering with Peter Reitzes as a polite and unbiased host.  These outstanding organizations deserve our gratitude. Let us support them in 2014 and beyond.

Happy New Year!

 

Judy

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.